This is another recipe from Annabel Karmel’s 100 Family Meals. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite cookery books! The recipes are great because they are designed with kids in mind and anyone who has to cook meals for a family will know it can be tricky finding recipes that everyone will eat!
Serve with rice or mashed potato, serves 6 people
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 500g beef (braising or stewing) diced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- beef stock cube in 300ml water
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 6 tbsp full fat sour cream, crème fraiche, or greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 140 fan/ 160 C/ Gas 4
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Toss the beef in the flour then add to the pan and brown on all sides until golden, transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry for 10 minutes until soft,then add the red pepper and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Finally, add the garlic, paprika and tomato puree and fry for 2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan and coat in the onion mixture, add the tomatoes and stock and bring up to the boil. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 3/4 hours.
- Remove from the oven and serve with rice/potato and a dollop of sour cream. You could sprinkle some flat leaf parsley on top as a garnish. Would also be nice served with a green salad and crusty bread for a lighter meal.
To buy Annabel’s book go to Amazon: