My mouth is watering just thinking about this recipe! It has to be the tastiest curry I’ve ever had and the whole family loved it = Bonus! This is super easy to prepare and could be a store cupboard stand by if you used frozen prawns and a jar of peppers.
Ingredients (serves 5-6)
- 2 tbsp light olive oil (suitable for frying)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Half green chilli finely diced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala powder
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 260 ml water
- 100g creamed coconut (or a tin of coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 500g cooked King Prawns
- Approx 600g rice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onion, garlic, chilli and red pepper for 5 minutes until almost soft.
- Add the garam masala and stir to coat the onion mixture. Add the tinned tomatoes, water, creamed coconut (or, if using coconut milk, add half a tin and omit the water, use the rest of the milk to cook the rice), tomato puree and mango chutney.
- Bring up to the boil, cover with a lid, then simmer for 20 minutes. Add the prawns to the hot sauce with seasoning and stir over the heat until the prawns are heated through.
- Season to taste (may not need any) and serve with rice cooked according to the instructions on the packet.
This recipe is taken from one of my favourite cook books:- Annabel Karmel’s 100 Family Meals. I return to it time and time again, with many recipes now firm family favourites.
You can buy the book on Amazon: