A recipe from one of my favourite recipe books: Annabel Karmel’s 100 Family Meals, great recipes which all the family will enjoy, it’s never let me down yet! This Spanish style omelette makes a lovely lunch or supper dish. You can play around with the ingredients depending on what you have available. For something more substantial, serve with some crusty bread and a green salad.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and diced (pop into a bowl of boiling water to deskin)
- A knob of butter
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 75g gruyere cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and aubergine and gently fry for 5 to 6 minutes until the aubergine and onion are starting to soften. Add the courgette and pepper and continue to fry for another 5 minutes, turning the vegetables. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Add the tomatoes and season. Simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are just soft.
- Melt the butter in a small omelette pan. Mix the eggs and milk together and season. Pour into the pan. Smooth the vegetables on top and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Cook on the hob over a medium heat until the edges are firm and then place under a hot grill for about 4 minutes or until lightly golden and the middle is cooked. Slide onto a plate.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
You can buy the book at Amazon: