I love this combination of flavours and quite often make a tart (see Apricot and Almond tart) but I always feel anything made with pastry has way too many calories! I found this recipe on the Asda website which is basically the same but without the pastry. The addition of Almond essence really enhances the flavour.
Ingredients: (pre heat oven to 180c and grease a 23cm cake tin)
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- Few drops Asda Extra Special Almond Extract
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 100g self-raising flour, sifted
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 3 tbsp milk
- 411g can apricots, drained
- 50g whole blanched almonds
- Beat the butter, sugar and almond extract together until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour with the second one. Add the rest of the flour, the almonds, lemon zest and milk, and fold in gently.
- Put the mixture in the cake tin and level the top. Arrange the drained apricots evenly on top, then put the almonds in between them.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the middle.
Serve warm with creme fraiche, cream or custard