I love Cottage Pie, it’s such a lovely comforting dish on a cold winter’s night. Plus this one uses half mince/half lentils and has lots of vegetables in it, so it is healthy too! My family love this and it gives me great pleasure to see the four of them tuck in with gusto and then come back for seconds.
Ingredients: (feeds 6)
2 tbsps light olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
500g lean beef mince
2 carrots, finely chopped
400g tin lentils (green or puy)
400g tin chopped tomatoes (plus half a tin of water)
1 beef stock cube
2 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the topping:
5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 tbsps olive oil
200 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil and fry the onion until soft and starting to brown, add the mince and fry until brown, then the carrots for 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned lentils and tomatoes (half fill the tin to rinse and add to the pan), sprinkle over the stock cube then add the soy and Worcestershire sauces. Stir to combine, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft, drain and mash with the olive oil and salt to taste.
- Cover the mince mixture with the mashed potatoes, sprinkle over the cheese and place under a hot grill for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Serve as it is or with a portion of cooked, frozen petits pois.