Carrots make the best soup ever! And the addition of orange zest and juice in this recipe gives this classic soup a nice twist, delicious!
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 large carrots
- 1 orange (all the juice and half the zest)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock (I like Marigold Bouillon)
- Peel the onion and cut into small chunks. Peel the carrots, cut the ends off and slice.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes. Stir the onion regularly. Using a cheese grater, grate the zest off the orange into the pan and add in the carrots. Fry for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, turn down the heat, stir, then put the lid back on and simmer gently for 30-45 minutes, test that the carrots are soft with a knife or skewer. Turn off the heat. Using a handheld blender, blend until it is smooth.
- Add the orange juice to the soup and mix well.
- Add a pinch of black pepper and a swirl of creme fraiche to serve.