This is a really quick and easy recipe for Chocolate Rum Truffles and some variations which will keep for at least three weeks (if you don’t eat them before!), so they are nice make-ahead treats for Christmas. The recipe makes 24 truffles.
For the Truffles:
1/3 cup double cream
¼ cup unsalted butter
6 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Dark rum
- Stir the cream and butter in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate until it is melted and smooth.
- Stir in the rum.
- Pour the mix into a shallow baking dish and refrigerate until malleable, this should take about 40 minutes.
For the Coatings:
2 – 3 Tbsp ground unsalted pistachio nuts
2 – 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 – 3 Tbsp confectioners sugar
2 – 3 Tbsp chocolate sprinkles
- Spread 2 – 3 Tbsp of each coating ingredient into shallow dishes.
- Divide the cold chocolate mixture into 24 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball shape. Roll 6 balls in each coating.
- Place balls in 1” paper or foil bonbon cups.
Orange Chocolate Truffles
To make these into Orange Chocolate Truffles instead, leave out the rum and add 2 Tbsp of finely grated orange zest and a Tbsp of Cointreau. You could also make these into coffee, mint etc by adding the relevant liqueur.
Now all you need to do is gift wrap them in pretty bags/paper/boxes and ribbon to make them look really special: