You can buy a Chicken and Mushroom Pie from the Supermarket and put it in the oven, but I guarantee it won’t taste as good as this! This is so easy to make (who makes their own puff pastry these days?) and totally delicious. The tarragon adds a lovely lemony twist.
Ingredients (serves 6)
(pre-heat the oven to 200 c)
2 onions, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped small
3 large/ 6 small carrots, chopped
3 large chicken breasts cut into small chunks
250 g mushrooms, chopped
2 chicken stock cubes
1 heaped tablespoon dried parsley
1 heaped tablespoon dried tarragon
1/2 pint water
2 teaspoons cornflour in little water
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry (all major supermarkets sell this in the butter section)
a little milk
- Heat the olive oil in a flame proof casserole dish and add the onion, celery and carrot, fry until soft and starting to caramelise.
- Add the chicken pieces and continue frying until well browned then add the mushrooms and cook until going soft.
- Sprinkle over the stock cubes, parsley and tarragon then add the water and stir well. Add the cornflour mix and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Cut the puff pastry to the size of the dish, place on top of the chicken mixture, cut 2 slits in the middle to let out steam, then brush with the milk.
- Put in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, checking after 20 to see if the pastry is cooked.
- Serve with peas and new potatoes.
I always seem to have pastry leftover so why not try making my Cheat’s Strawberry Tart? Totally delicious!