Lemon Tart is a lovely, refreshing dessert and a perfect addition to a Dinner Party or Family Lunch. It’s not too filling and most people can manage a small slice, even after a large meal. My recipes are always aimed at giving maximum taste for minimum effort and this uses a few cheats to create a stunning result!
Ingredients: serves 6-8
1 pack of ready made dessert pastry (Sainsbury’s is best) or a ready made pastry shell (even easier!)
1 tin (400g) of condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before use, to soften, then use it to line a fluted dish. Bake in the oven for 10 mins, covered (with baking paper and beans to prevent it rising) then a further 10 mins uncovered until lightly browned.
- Pour the condensed milk into a bowl, add the eggs and whisk together. Remove the zest from one lemon and set aside. Juice the 3 lemons and then add the juice slowly to the milk, whisking all the time. This will thicken the mixture. Add the lemon zest, then mix. Depending on the size of your dish, you may need slightly more mixture, if so, whisk another egg with some milk and add to the main mixture.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the pastry base, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until set when you wobble the dish.
- This can be served warm with a little icing sugar dusted over, or can be refrigerated and served cold.
- I like to serve this with raspberries and a dollop of extra thick double cream or créme frâiche.
So simple but so good! Do you have a favourite lemon recipe?