Another winning recipe from Fay Ripley’s book: “Fay’s Family Food”. This recipe is so easy and will feed all ages from babies to adults, what a fantastic idea! The tastes are sublime from the slightly caramelised carrots and onions to the warming ginger and cumin, a genius combination!
Fay Ripley’s Orange and Ginger Chicken Casserole
For the marinade:
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
zest of 1 orange
3 tbsps olive oil
6 chicken thighs (skin off)
1 large onion roughly chopped
3 large carrots, roughly chopped
150 ml chicken stock
juice of 2 oranges
1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl, toss the chicken in it, cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 c fan, 200 c, gas mark 6. Heat a frying pan and fry the chicken, both sides, until sealed. Put into a casserole dish.
- Add the oil to the pan and fry the onion and carrot until soft, transfer to the casserole.
- Add the stock and orange juice to the casserole, give a good stir , cover and put in the oven for 45-60 mins.
- The chicken is done when you pierce the skin and the juices run clear.
- Serve with baked sweet potatoes and spring greens.
For babies, take the meat off the bone and puree, for kids serve as is. For adults, put a lid on and keep warm until the kids are in bed and you have a nice glass of wine to hand!