Every now and again, I succumb to the £10 meal deal on offer in Marks and Spencer, Tesco or Sainsbury, sometimes it’s perfect for an adult “night in”, or it will feed my 3 kids (and I get the bottle of wine!) or, with a bit of a stretch, it will feed all 5 of us.
Tonight’s meal was a Sainsbury’s £10 main/dessert/wine deal:
- Mushroom and Spinach Risotto:
- Melting Middle Chocolate Pudding:
- and a bottle of Tuscan White Wine:
The challenge was how to make this stretch to feed 5 people, I also wanted to make it a bit healthier! To do this I added:
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, very finely chopped
200g brown mushrooms, finely chopped
A good handful of baby spinach
1/2 lemon, squeezed juice
- To start I cooked the rice, fry it first in a little olive oil then add 400ml boiling water, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in a large pan in a little olive oil until soft, then add the celery for a few minutes and finally the mushrooms, saute for a few minutes until cooked.
- The risotto cooking instructions were for the oven but I was in a hurry, so I microwaved it on full power (850) for 5 minutes then added it to the pan.
- Finally, I added the cooked rice, baby spinach and lemon juice.
- To serve you could stir through some grated cheese but I was trying to be healthy! It also did not need any extra seasoning.
The chocolate puddings I split 4 ways for my husband and 3 kids, they finished up some custard and cream left in the fridge, while I enjoyed the white wine!
For more Meal Deals from Sainsbury click here…..
Do you have any other ways of using the Meal Deals around?