Jason Vale is famous for his love of juicing fruit and vegetables for health, he has various plans you can follow. In the winter, a healthy soup is a welcome, warming addition to your juice plan. I love this Green Veggie Power Soup and Jason says: “This is one amazing soup. The celery alone reduces acidity, which is beneficial in cases of arthritis, gout and stomach acidity. It’s also a natural diuretic, helping to reduce fluid retention as well as balancing PH levels. Once you add the onion, broccoli, courgette, garlic, green beans, peas, asparagus and spinach, you have an ultimate power soup, which helps feed every cell in the body and flush out the waste.” I like to add the juice and zest of a quarter of a lemon as I find it really lifts the flavour.
- 60ml (2 fl oz) olive oil (I have also used coconut oil as an alternative and you can’t taste the difference)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1.5 litres (2 1/2 pints) vegetable stock
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 150g ( 5 1/2 oz) green peas
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1cm (1/2 inch) pieces
- 85g (3oz) baby spinach leaves, torn into pieces
- A quarter lemon, zest and juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic and celery until lightly browned. Add the courgette and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the green beans, peas, asparagus and spinach. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season well with cracked black pepper and add the lemon zest and juice, allow to cool slightly before blending.
- For extra taste, serve with a little dollop of pesto
This recipe is taken from Jason Vale’s book “Turbo Charge Your Life in 14 Days”