I love Paella, it’s the perfect summer dish and brings back happy memories of holidays in Spain with my parents and sister. I had never tried to make it as I knew it was a little bit like risotto, involving constant attention and stirring! However, having spotted some lovely looking Chorizo in my local Sainsbury’s, I thought I would give it a go. I’m so glad I did, after researching various recipes I came up with this one and it is super easy to make! Even better was the fact that the whole family loved it, clean plates all round!
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
6 chicken pieces, cubed (thigh for taste or breast for low calorie, or a mix!)
200g smoked Chorizo, sliced
1 tbsp dried thyme, 2tsps paprika, 2tsps chilli powder, 1 tsp saffron
100ml dry sherry
500g risotto rice
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 litre chicken stock
handful of frozen peas
200g king prawns (cooked)
flat leaf parsley to garnish
Method (use a heavy bottomed frying pan)
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft then add the chicken and Chorizo, fry until cooked.
- Add in the herbs, stir, then add the sherry and allow to evaporate.
- Stir in the risotto rice and coat well with the oils and juices, allow to cook for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes.
- Start to add the stock in small amounts, stirring in between. After a few minutes you can add the rest of the stock and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, test the rice, it may need a bit more cooking and add more water if needed. Also, add some more thyme if you can’t taste it.
- Add in the frozen peas and prawns and cook through (approx 5 minutes).
- Serve with flat leaf parsley sprinkled over.