This is one of my “go to” recipes when I’m short on time. It’s really quick and easy and can be made with store cupboard/freezer ingredients. Plus my whole family love it, a great result all round! I got the idea for this recipe from Jamie Oliver but I like my version better!
Ingredients: (serves 4 hungry adults or 6 with some kids)
Olive oil for frying
1 onion, chopped small
1 clove garlic, chopped (or 1 tsp Very Lazy Garlic)
1/2 red chilli, seeds removed, chopped (or 1/2 tsp Very Lazy Chilli)
1 pack sausages, cut up and rolled into balls (caramelised onion ones are good!)
Splash of red wine
Splash of Balsamic vinegar
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp soy sauce
400 g pasta, cooked (eg spaghetti, penne, fusilli, conchigli)
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft, then add the sausages and brown.
- Pour in the wine and vinegar and allow to evaporate.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato ketchup and soy sauce.
- Cook for approx 10 minutes and then add the cooked pasta and warm through.
- Serve with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
You can add some vegetables to the sauce such as diced carrot, celery, peas etc. You can also use chipolata sausages to make mini meatballs which younger kids will love.