One of my favourite recipes from Gok Wan’s book “Gok Cooks Chinese”, Poppa Wan’s Soy Glazed Chicken is very simple but very tasty. It is based on an old-school, Hong Kong-Chinese dish. It goes really well with the Spicy Cucumber Salad and a simple Egg Fried Rice dish. My kids love this! You could also make this with Salmon fillets.
3 tbsps groundnut oil
6 chicken thighs, on the bone, skin removed
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
3 spring onions, 2 finely sliced and 1 sliced into long diagonal pieces
6 tbsps water
1 tbsp honey
5 tbsps light soy sauce
1/2 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add the chicken and brown all over. This will take approx 4-5 mins. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat and add the remaining oil, add the garlic, ginger and the 2 finely sliced spring onions. Fry for 2-3 mins until softened then add the chicken back into the wok.
- Pour in the water, honey and soy sauce, bring to the boil and then put a lid or foil over the wok. Cook for 5 mins.
- Remove the lid and turn the chicken, they should be nicely caramelizing in the reduced liquid. Continue to cook for a few mins until you have a sticky glaze. Remove the chicken and allow to rest for 3 mins.
- Serve with the remaining spring onion and chilli as a garnish.
For the salad:
1 cucumber peeled and sliced with a vegetable peeler (don’t use the inner seeds as they are too watery)
(2 carrots peeled and sliced thinly)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 fresh red chilli
2 spring onions, finely sliced
3 tbsps rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
a pinch of salt
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl (I like to add some sliced carrot for more texture) and leave to sit for 2 mins before serving. This salad really packs a zingy punch, the flavours are incredible!
Egg Fried Rice
2 tbsps oil
2 eggs, beaten
500g cooked white rice
1 spring onion, finely sliced
75g frozen peas, partially cooked
2 tbsps light soy sauce/ 1 tsp salt
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and add the egg, stir to break up and when lightly cooked add the rice, spring onion and peas. Finish with the soy sauce or salt to taste.
A fabulous meal, very simple to make and extremely tasty! Chinese food at it’s best!