A great recipe for hiding vegetables from the kids! The long slow cooking makes them virtually disappear. This is really tasty and a true one pot meal. Read on to find out what my secret ingredient is. (You could make this in a slow cooker if you have one). For more family meals, check out my Pinterest Board: Family Meals
Ingredients (serves 4 or 2 adults 3 kids)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots , sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g mushrooms , sliced
- 500g braising steak , cubed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil
- 1 bouquet garni and 2 bay leaves
- beef stock , fresh, cube or concentrate made up to 750ml
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan then add the onion, potatoes, carrot, leek, celery and garlic, and cook gently for 5 minutes, do not brown. Add the mushrooms and cook everything for a further 5 minutes then remove from the pan. Heat a little more olive oil in the pan, add the beef (in batches if necessary) and brown all over then stir the flour in well.
- Return the veg to the pan and add the anchovy fillets (my secret ingredient- they add a lovely rich flavour), bouquet garni, bay leaves, stock, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Season and mix well. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours until tender, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, place in an oven on a low heat (130c) for 3 hours. Serve with some fresh crusty bread to mop up the gorgeous gravy.
Do you have a favourite slow cooked beef recipe or a secret ingredient?