This recipe came about as a result of having “nothing” in the fridge and kids coming for tea. A quick rummage in the store cupboard and the fridge came up with: a tin of tuna, a tin of tomatoes, pasta, 4 mushrooms, 1 green pepper and 1 onion, plus the usual garlic, chilli and tomato puree. Sometimes, having nothing in yields the best results and it cost nothing extra!
In my fridge I have: a jar of lazy garlic, a jar of lazy chilli, a jar of anchovies in oil, tomato puree tubes and various herbs in oil. They are a great standby and make life much easier (and quicker!).
Ingredients: (serves 6)
2 tbsps olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 mushroom, chopped very small
1 tsp lazy garlic
1 tsp lazy chilli
1 tin tuna
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp Italian herbs
2 tbsps tomato puree
1 anchovy chopped small
500 g penne pasta (or your choice), cooked al dente
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, then add the pepper and mushrooms, garlic and chilli, continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the tuna, tomatoes, herbs, tomato puree and anchovy and continue cooking for 10 minutes. The anchovy will dissolve into the sauce and gives a delicious flavour to the dish.
- Check the seasoning and add more if necessary, be careful of adding too much salt as this will already be salty.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and combine.
- Serve with some crusty bread and a green salad. Check out my salad dressings recipes for some great home made ideas.